Monday 7 March 2016

What started me quilting again

I blame my mother. She has been quilting for many years. I have a number of her quilts and one of my grandmothers, so I guess it was only a matter of time before I got into patch working.

You may notice I say "Got Back To". I made a couple of quilts as a teen, one for my cousins wedding and helped with several for various friends as they achieved the head office in group for girls. All where fun and in quilting terms simple to put together.

But, back to what got me started again. My husband and I were looking at retiring and moving to rural Victoria. The area we found we really liked had a lovely tea room that had a quilt shop integrated into it, lovely and relaxing.

Then I went to visit my mum in California with my youngest daughter. While talking, she mentioned she had never gotten a quilt from her Grams. So, off to the fabric section of her house, fabric, chosen, pieces cut, and within the week we had with her the first 6 squares where sewn together. All where left with Grams to finish but the urge to quilt was cemented.


I am not a lover of a sewing machine so everything to date and for the foreseeable future are hand sewn. I am not a perfectionist but I like to get it right, so while I will take seams out if they dont fit right, they can be a bit wobblie  .

No comments:

Post a Comment